The Archives of the Diocese of Rupert’s Land collects, arranges, describes and preserves the permanent records and related papers of the Diocese.
The Archivist and volunteers respond to requests from committees and groups of the Diocese, Synod office staff, clergy and parish staff and researchers. Information is available to the public to the extent that the records have been processed for research. Parish histories and a list of holdings (parish records that are held at the archives) are now available online at archivescanada.ca
The Archives collects:
- Records created by Synod, its Council, Officers, committees and groups
- Records and papers of the Bishops of Rupert’s Land
- Manuscripts, private papers, audio-visual materials, electronic records and other material related to the history of the Diocese
- Non-current parochial, congregational and mission records including the registers of baptism, confirmation, marriage and burial
The Diocesan Archives does not purchase records, books or collections.
The Diocesan Archives does not usually collect the following items: artifacts and printed material including Bibles, Prayer Books, Hymn Books, Altar Books, Communion Vessels, Vestments or other furnishings.
Such items may be collected at the discretion of the Archivist if:
- they have connection with historically significant figures in the life of the Diocese, or
- they have histories that associate them with important events, persons or parishes in the life of the Diocese, or
- they are in themselves rare, unique or unusual items.
Diocesan Resources Available
Request for Information Form
FEES FOR SERVICE
- Certificates of verification of Baptism, Confirmation, Marriage and Burial: $20.00 each
- Photocopies: $.50 per page
- Digital Scan: $2.00 each
- Research: $20.00 per hour with a maximum of 2 hours
Fees may be paid in cash, by cheque or credit card (Visa or Mastercard). Please make cheques payable to The Diocese of Rupert’s Land.
Payment must be received before research begins.
Contact the Diocesan Archivist
Gloria Romaniuk telephone 204-992-4203
Toll free in Manitoba – 1-866-693-4418
Links to Additional Resourses