Kakinow Ntomakanik (“All my relations”) was developed as an outreach project of All Saints’ in 2005 in order to respond to the needs of aboriginal women and their families who were seeking to cope with life in the city.
To be an effective and appropriate spiritual and practical resource bringing hope, healing and reconciliation for aboriginal people negotiating the transition to urban life and to mediate in the task of healing and reconciliation between the church and aboriginal people.
The areas of program activity include:
1. developing a safe meeting environment for aboriginal women seniors comprised on fellowship, story telling and crafts
2. working with the staff of Agape Table to develop a family nutrition program for young and primarily aboriginal families from the region
3. providing counseling and advocacy support for aboriginal women from the West Broadway community and Agape Table
4. providing sacramental, pastoral and crisis care in area hospitals
5. being a visible Anglican presence within a community whose experience of the church has been less than positive
The program is currently funded by All Saints’ Anglican Church and by the Anglican Church of Canada Healing Fund.
Staffing and Contact Person
The Rev. Barbara Shoomski
c/o All Saints’ Anglican Church,
175 Colony Street,
Winnipeg, R3C 1W2.